We can ‘yield’ ourselves to many things. This may be things that honour God, but also they may be things that do not. We have to keep a check on our lives. In the older Bible translations the word yield is used but in newer versions the word yield is replaced with the word offer. In my mind they do not carry the same weight because yielding speaks of surrender and offering speaks of a suggestion. So I have taken the newer translation and I have included the word yield so that we can see the difference.
Romans 6:13 Do not offer (yield) any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer (yield) yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer (yield) every part of yourself to Him as an instrument of righteousness.
Yielding ourselves to God is what we are called to do. We should not give any aspect of our lives to sin and no aspect of the way we live our lives should ever be seen as an instrument of wickedness. Instead we should give ourselves to God as if our lives depend on it and in everything we do our lives should be seen as an instrument of righteousness. This should change the way we live our lives. And it should be something we constantly strive for and something we pursue regularly. Please notice that it says ‘every part of yourself’ should be yielded in this way.
HOW DO WE ACTUALLY YIELD OURSELVES TO GOD?
I have led people in worship for many years. I have seen that some people seem to enter in and give themselves to God with such ease, while others find it difficult. But over the years I have learnt that it is not that difficult. It just takes a little time and the conscious presenting, offering and yielding ourselves to God. This scripture indicates that we should yield, offer and surrender ourselves to God and offer and yield every part of our lives to Him. I believe that it is something we can do every day. I believe it is something we can do when a moment in time presents an opportunity to do just this. I believe we can do it right now. Here are some simple steps: I often like to close my eyes so that things do not distract me and often I will lift my hands as a sign of surrender.
1. Take a moment to be still and quiet. The Bible tells us to ‘Be still, and know that I am God!’ (Psalm 46:10)
2. Confess any wrong in your life that you are aware of. The Bibles tells us that: ‘If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.’ (1 John 1:9)
3. Consciously yield yourself to God. Give Him every area of your life. Give Him every talent and ability and give Him your very body. For the Bible says: ‘Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.’ (Romans 12:1) Spend a moment doing just this. Don’t rush it.
4. Begin to receive from God. The Bible tells us: ‘No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly.’ (Psalm 84:11)
5. Thank Him for what He is doing in your heart and life right now.
If we will just do this, God will respond and come and touch our lives and reveal more of Himself to us. You have nothing to lose. Step out and discover the joy of yielding to Him. It is always worth it!
If you have a PRAYER REQUEST, please send us an e-mail at Prayer@AliveToGod.com For more information about Alive to God, or to subscribe to our free DAILY BIBLE VERSE, please visit www.AliveToGod.com