I have thought about this one long and hard and I believe there are several major themes that stop people from surrendering their all to God.
1. Fear – God is love and we have no reason to fear.
1 John 4:18 ‘There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment.’
2. Lack of trust. (They don’t really trust God)
Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.
3. A desire for control themselves. Humans want control. (Pride)
Proverbs 16:9 In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.
4. Some people are hesitant to give God control of their lives because they don’t really believe that His plans for them are actually better than their own.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
5. The idea that if they give God control, He will expect of them to do things they don’t want to do or that they despise doing!
Nothing could be further from the truth. Look what God’s word says:
Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.
Perhaps we should take the words ‘Delight yourself in the Lord’ and substitute them with the words ‘Surrender yourself to God’ and then complete the verse. We don’t really understand that many of the dreams and desires that are in our hearts were planted there by God Himself.
For more information about Alive to God, or to subscribe to our free DAILY BIBLE VERSE, please visit www.AliveToGod.com