Let me summarise these eight Be-Blessed Attitudes and at the same time recognise that I have leaned heavily on Dr R. Schuller’s paraphrasing.
1. THE HUMBLE MAN SAYS, I NEED HELP, I CANNOT DO IT ALONE!
Matthew 5:3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”
2. I’M REALLY HURTING, BUT I’M GOING TO BOUNCE BACK!
Matthew 5:4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.”
3. I’M GOING TO REMAIN TENDERHEARTED, SUBMITTED AND ADJUSTABLE!
Matthew 5:5 “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.”
4. I REALLY WANT TO DO THE RIGHT THING!
Matthew 5:6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.”
5. I’M GOING TO TREAT OTHERS THE WAY I WANT THEM TO TREAT ME!
Matthew 5:7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.”
6. I’M GOING TO TRUST GOD WITH A PURE HEART, NO MATTER WHAT!
Matthew 5:8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.”
7. AS A SON OF GOD, I’M GOING TO BE A BRIDGE BUILDER!
Matthew 5:9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.”
8. I’M GOING TO PRAISE THE LORD, AS I DO WHAT IS RIGHT, NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS!
Matthew 5:10-12 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”
These ATTITUDES open up the way for God to bless us!
We must therefore take time to let these attitudes become part of our lifestyles- part of the way we live! Perhaps 1 Timothy 4:15 is appropriate here:
“Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all.”